The elbow, wrist, and hand can be a common site of pain or discomfort. Since we often use our arms in repetitive movements, it is easy for imbalances to occur and cause pain over time.
Conditions of the Elbow:
Tennis Elbow, or lateral epicondylopothy (commonly called lateral epicondylitis) is an issue is a painful irritation of the common origin of the wrist extensor muscles. Lateral epicondylopathy (LE) is the most common cause of elbow pain (1).
Golfer's Elbow, or medial epicondylopathy is irritation of the flexor and pronator muscle groups on the inside of your elbow (2).
Cubital Tunnel Syndrome is second only to carpal tunnel syndrome as a leading compressive neuropathy (3). The cubital tunnel is located on the inside of your elbow, and a decrease in this space can cause numbness and tingling in the ulnar nerve in your forearm.
Conditions of the wrist and hand:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common issue causing numbness and tingling in the palm as well as the thumb, index, and middle fingers.
Pronator teres syndrome describes the signs and symptoms that results from compression of the median nerve by the pronator teres muscle near the elbow. It is the second most frequent cause of median nerve compression with features similar to but discernable from its more common distal counterpart, carpal tunnel syndrome.
De Quervain's stenosing tenosynovitis is an inflammation of the tendons and synovial sheaths of two particular muscles: the abductor pollicis longus (APL) and extensor pollicis brevis (EPB) muscles in the forearm. This inflammation causes pain and discomfort in the forearm near the thumb.
Hand osteoarthritis: Synovial joints contain a layer of hyaline cartilage that acts as a shock absorber during movement and activity. Over time, the process of “Osteoarthritis” causes this cartilage to progressively disintegrate, compromising its ability to dissipate stress. (4,5)
At Creekside Chiropractic Performance Center, we are highly trained to treat these conditions. We are the only inter-disciplinary clinic in Sheboygan county that provides chiropractic, myofascial release, ART (Active Release Technique), massage therapy, acupuncture, physiotherapy, rehabilitative exercise, nutritional counseling, personal training, and golf performance training under one roof. Utilizing these different services, we can help patients and clients reach the best outcomes and the best versions of themselves. Voted Best Chiropractor in Sheboygan by the Sheboygan Press.
Evidence Based-Patient Centered-Outcome Focused
- Bigorre N, Raimbeau G, Fouque P-A, Saint Cast Y, Rabarin F, Cesari B. Lateral epicondylitis treatment by extensor carpi radialis fasciotomy and radial nerve decompression: Is outcome influenced by the occupational disease compensation aspect? Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research. 2011; 97(2): 159-163
- Jobe FW, Cicotti MG. Lateral and medial epicondylitis of the elbow. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1994;2:1–8.
- Nicholas, J.A. The Upper Extremity in Sports Medicine, CV Mosby, 1990 p.343
- Loughlin J. The genetic epidemiology of human primary osteoarthritis: current status. Expert Rev Mol Med. May 24 2005;7(9):1-12.
- Dieppe PA, Lohmander LS. Pathogenesis and management of pain in osteo- arthritis. Lancet 2005; 365: 965–973.